Australian Visualisation and Virtual Reality Interest Group
Welcome to the homepage of the Australian Visualisation and
Virtual Reality Interest Group, an informal collection of
workers in the field. The group came together for the first time
in late 2001 to hold a workshop, hosted by the Australian
National University Supercomputer Facility Vizlab and APAC
(Australian Partnership for Advanced Computing).
A mailing list has been set up and the attendees names have been
added. To subscribe to the list send a message to listproc at
anu.edu.au (making the obvious change to the address)
with the a line of the form "subscribe ozviz Firstname
Lastname". Then after you've been approved you can send messages
to the list by sending to the address ozviz at
listproc.anu.edu.au. See this
manual for instructions on managing your list subscription.
OzViz 2002 Workshop
OzVis-02 will be hosted by VisLab at the
University of Sydney on December 3-4 At the same time we will
celebrate the 10-th anniversary of VisLab.
We aim to have 1.5-2 days of talks, and a celebratory dinner. A
detailed Schedule will be circulated within the next few days,
to give you a better sense of what's on.
Many of you have submitted Abstracts - thank you. They will form
the basis of the schedule of talks. These should be 20 mins (say
15 mins + 5 mins of Q&A) to allow the number of talks - a range
of A/V facilities, etc will be available.
We plan to publish a booklet of Abstracts to mark the event.
(earlier indications were that S-V might publish a volume -
however they want it to be more focused; and it seems that our
group and its efforts has a much broader scope; so for the
moment a published proceedings is not realistic, I'm sorry to
Physics Building (A28), U Sydney campus - LT8 [aka Slade lecture
Thr.) on middle of ground floor
Registration Coffee etc at 8:30am. Start at 9am, with
officials and Keynote from MIT.
No registration fee. We will provide morning & afternoon tea &
light lunch. Dinner at Women's Collge on campus [50m SW] - say
6pm for 6:30pm on Tues Dec 3 - we'd like to charge $50 for
academics, etc and $25 for students for food, and will issue
receipts - this is the only charge; -- drinks will be provided
by us. We need to accurately advise numbers for catering, so
please RSVP for dinner, to me and/or Anita by Fri Nov 22.
Note: we are on USyd campus, NOT at the ATP for this event.
- See VisLab web site for general info, maps, etc.
local info & follow links.. -- eg try Univ. Motor Inn
right across the road has a $110 univ. rate
- For lower
cost [at $105/pair], perhaps for students: we have reserved a
block of 20 rooms - twin share at RYDGES Camperdown Sydney, 9
Missenden Road, Camperdown NSW 2050 [ just across the oval,
past RPA Hosp.] phone -9516 1522 email -
email@example.com -- you should make your own
- fyi: Most Colleges on campus have told us that they are
"not available", as students are still here: but in reality we
know that many would have left - so feel free to chase it up....
My understanding is that APAC will provide some sponsorship to
the host and to state level Partners, to support attendance [eg
by students] at such an event.
.. more updates soon, we hope to see you here.
OzViz 2001 Workshop
Proceedings (12 December 2001):
(speakers - please forward files or links to your presentations to Drew)
- 9:00 AM Robin Stanton, ANU PVC - Opening
- 9:15 AM Bernard Pailthorpe - USyd - Sydney VisLab, R&D and education programs
- 9:30 AM Paul Bourke - Swinburne - Presenting Mars
- 9:45 AM Sean Hart - RMIT - VR based training projects at RMIT
- 10:00 AM Mark Knackstedt - ANU - Flow through porous media
- 10:15 AM Stephen Hyde - ANU - Investigating ordered networks
- 10:30 AM MORNING TEA
- 11:00 AM Stuart Ramsden - ANU - Diverse visualization techniques across the Mesoscale domain
- 11:15 AM Ajay Limaye - ANU - Use of VR in Art History
- 11:30 AM Stephen Barrass - CSIRO - Sound and sonification in VR
- 11:45 AM Paul Doornbusch - RMIT - TBA - audio related
- 12:00 PM Drew Whitehouse - ANU - ANUSF Vizlab: infrastructure and activities
- 12:15 PM Ben Simons - USyd - Data Vis via Houdini CHOP's
- 12:30 PM Henry Gardner - ANU - VR in the eScience Education Program
- 12:45 PM LUNCH
- 1:45 PM Nicole Bordes - USyd - High Resolution Displays
- 2:00 PM Darran Edmundson- ANU - Taking Visualization/VR to the Public
- 2:15 PM Milan Pahor - UNSW - Teaching spatial concepts and reducing cognitive load through animation and virtual reality modelling
- 2:30 PM Hugh Fisher - ANU - Adapting PC input devices for VR systems
- 2:45 PM Kevin Burrage, Sean Ivermee - UQ - ACMC overview & description of projects
- 3:00 PM Steve Jeffrey - UQ - Virtual Reef
- 3:15 PM Andy Dennison, Kevin Burrage - UQ - Psychosis 3d
- 3:30 PM AFTERNOON TEA
- 4:00 PM General discussion, future meetings, collaborations
Some snaps of the days events are
available (thanks Darran, did anyone else take photos they'd
like to share ?)
Last modified: Thu Nov 14 11:33:42 AUS Eastern Daylight Time 2002