VIZLAB has a portable passive-stereo system suitable for demonstrations and
temporary exhibitions. In the images below, 3D movies are presented side-by-side
with an explanatory slideshow. An alternative arrangement has the 3D imagery
filling the entire 2m x 1.5m screen. The screen and surrounding booth travelled
to Phoenix in 2003 to appear in the
SC2003 (Supercomputer 2003)
conference exhibition. A combination of interactive and pre-rendered
visualizations showcasing research performed at the APAC National Facility
Passive stereo screen on display at the
APAC 2003 Conference, Gold Coast.
Here we have side-by-side stereo movies and non-stereo slides.
The system is comprised of:
- 2m x 1.5m Stewart Filmscreen
frame with rear-projection polarization-preserving "Disney Black" surface
- 2 PLUS slimline 1024x768 DLP
- Custom dual projector mounting rack including polarizing filters and mirror
for reducing the projector "throw" - allows coaligned polarized left-eye and
right-eye images to be displayed
- PC computer with dual-head graphics card and high-speed disk array
capable of streaming high-resolution uncompressed stereo movies
- Portable booth with blacking cloth for creating darkened viewing environment
View of the National Facility
display from above showing the booth surrounding the portable screen.
The booth provides a darkened environment for an otherwise bright